Sunday, March 26, 2017

An interest in Tarot

When I first became interested in Tarot and started shopping for a deck, I was amazed at how may different tarot decks were available. I looked at decks that I thought I would be interested in, many caught my eye but I still could not decide which one out of all these decks I had seen would be the one for me. I was ready to purchase a few because how could I pick just one?! Doing some reading on Tarot brought me to a decision that worked out to be the best one for me. I decided to go with the Rider Waite deck. I saw many recommendations to use this deck as a beginners deck. It was not as eye appealing as some I had seen but I wanted to learn and knew I had plenty of time to purchase more decks once I knew more about the cards.

tarot

The images on the "Rider-Waite" deck were drawn by artist Pamela Colman Smith following the instructions of Arthur Edward Waite and were originally published by the Rider Company in 1910.

This 78-card tarot deck has two distinct parts... the Major Arcana  or trump cards which consists of 22 cards and the Minor Arcana consists of 56 cards.

The subjects of the Major Arcana are based on those of the earliest decks, but have been modified to reflect Waite and Smith's view of tarot.

At first look over of the deck, there are a lot of cards to get familiar with and it is overwhelming. It took me some time to actual start my study of Tarot. Once I realized how to break down the cards within the deck it became so much easier.

☽✪☾ Blessings